Tuesday, April 18, 2023

April 12, 2008

"That's not education, Sir, that's culture!"--The History Boys


Went to the Royal Academy in the morning.  I saw a great show of Russian and French art from the turn of the century, from Russian collections.  I also saw an exhibit of the German Renaissance artist Cranach.


In the afternoon I went to the Victoria & Albert Museum.  I saw special exhibits of new Chinese design; a Regency gentleman called Thomas Hope who introduced many exotic elements to English design; and one about theatrical designs. (My choir director Giuseppe Macina would have liked that last one.) At one point, I heard some heavy rain on the roof and it reminded me of the top floor in our Toronto home.


Today's photos included the Rubens statue in front of the Royal Academy; the inner garden at the V&A; and a group of Swedish fans of the English soccer team the Tottenham Hotspurs!


Dinner was chicken "supreme" with mushroom sauce.


Saw Alan Bennett's play The History Boys at Wyndham's.  Or at least I saw the first half, then I left because I felt too tired to pay attention.  Anyway, the movie version, which I have seen, seemed pretty close to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment