Friday, December 25, 2020

December 15, 2005

"Time is making fools of us again"--Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince


"I thought he was a very nice man, and I thought so up to the moment I cut his throat"--Capote


Got some London Free Press comic sections, a batch of Li'l Abners and a few teenage romance comics from Ebay.


Saw about 20 minutes of Cure, a Japanese movie about a serial killer or something.  Too strange for me, though it was well made.


At the NDP campaign office I sorted sign location slips into four zones, then started sending out payment envelopes to committed donors.


Dinner was cod.


In the evening I went back and completed the remaining donation envelopes.  The donation total is about ten grand!


Later I saw Capote at the Varsity.  It's a fascinating depiction of the process through which the slippery but important writer Truman Capote came to write the landmark "non-fiction novel" In Cold Blood.  Philip Seymour Hoffman was remarkably creepy in the title role, while Catherine Keener was an inspired Harper Lee. (Now there's an actress who can play smart women!) I was reminded of Janet Malcolm' paradoxical assertion that journalists inevitably play con games in pursuit of the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment