Monday, January 1, 2018

January 1st, 2003

Dear Dinah:

I'm starting these letters to you because my shrink is encouraging me to write [I'd started seeing Dr. Hassan a few months earlier], and a diary seemed a good place to start; also because I want to use my grand Arthur Murray pen. [I was taking dance lessons at an Arthur Murray studio, and they gave me a fancy pen.]

Well, last night I dreamed I had this big essay test to write, and figured out a whole structure, but then got distracted by noise; of this TV ad with Jerry Lewis promoting a phone number to call to identify exotic weeds; of house-sitting for [my brother] John, making the first entry here, and coming home to our old Sackville house.

Right now I'm reading Malachy McCourt's Singing My Him Song. (Granted he isn't as good a writer as his brother Frank, but his life was such a train wreck it's perversely fascinating.) I'm also translating August Strindberg's "An Attempt at Reform" into Chinese and Japanese. [It was in a book The World's Best Short Short Stories, with stories half a dozen pages long or less.]

Finally got around to renewing my Mensa and London Goodenough Alumni Canada memberships.

Just saw the Hard Boiled DVD. [Directed by Hong Kong's John Woo.] Real kick-ass action, though the business with the babies was rather shameless. [Some gangsters took over a hospital!] With Chow Yun-fat, the coolest guy in the world.  It's a boy's movie, I'm afraid.  Of course I got another headache.

We ate roast beef, which I don't much like.

Also saw a documentary about Bergman cinematographer Sven Nykvist by his son. Fascinating, but I would have liked more clips from his movies.

I've been borrowing Moira's dumbbells so often she told me to keep them!

There's something desperate in Dubya's insistence that invading Iraq will benefit the US economy.

Joined cybersuitors.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment