Friday, January 19, 2018

January 19, 2003


Started translating a new chapter of Wandering Youth. Or rather, I reviewed the translation I'd already done. [It's a Chinese White propaganda novel from the '50s.  I've translated the first two sections and should continue someday.]

Saw Pedro Almodovar's Talk to Her.  It's a real masterpiece, but you wouldn't like it, Dinah; it's more for grownups.  It's a product of Spanish Catholic culture--among many other thiings, it's about faith.  But it's funnier than the subject (a ballerina and a female matador in comas) would lead you to expect.  I'll bet Cynthia would like it.  Almodovar used to make raucous farces, but recently he's developed a remarkably subtle comic touch.  Tremendous.

In the evening I started the actual translation of the next chapter of Wandering Youth.

No comments:

Post a Comment