Monday, January 15, 2018

January 15, 2003

Went to the Deer Park library and borrowed Lolita. (Dr. Hassan suggested I read a book like that because I hate talking about sex.) Then I went to the Cinematheque HQ and bought only seven tickets.

The parents are talking about subscribing to a book club for the new-member bargain:  five books for a dollar.  I suggested Lincoln's Virtues (which Bill Bryson recommends), Pat Conroy's book about a losing basketball season in his senior year (Allen Barra raved about it at salon.com), and a centennial edition of The Wizard of Oz with the original illustrations!

Lolita is a sly, clever comedy. I noticed the way Nabokov has Humbert Humbert using not-quite perfect English ("inly" instead of "inwardly"), which I think is intentional, not just Nabokov's own imperfections.

In the afternoon we had the coaching session with Daniel Heroux, who laid out a whole tango sequence for the February spotlight. (Lisa asked for the certificate I won, bu I can't find it.) In the evening the group lesson was hustle.  I got so dizzy I couldn't pay attention to Davis.  The line dance was Sergei's Charleston, which I almost mastered.

Dinner was scalloped potatoes and ham.

Dreamed of J.K. Rowling writing a Harry Potter picture book.

No comments:

Post a Comment