Friday, March 16, 2018

March 16, 2003



US soldier: "Barbra and I spent a year in Africa.  We helped build a school for orphans.  They were orphans because the warlord across the border didn't like their tribe.  I know that God has a plan for me, I just hope it's to help protect orphans, not make any"--We Were Soldiers

Got up at 10:53.

Dreamed of auditioning and being given an acting role; asking how long the commitment would be for and being told not very long; telling Genny's husband Jim about this; ordering a hamburger at an outdoor stand; the music from the animated NFB vignette "Dance."

The mercury hit at least 10 degrees today!  We drove to the beach again, where there was haze from the melting snow.  It was warm enough for my spring jacket.

Dinner was McDonald's.

Saw the DVD of Randall Wallace's We Were Soldiers.  A familiar Vietnam war movie, quite square and often shameless, but interesting history.  Mel Gibson, like James Cagney, makes me smile even in a grim movie like this one. [I'm glad the DVD included deleted scenes:  there's a good one where General Westmoreland says "We're going to run those red bastards home!" but Gibson warns, "They are home."]

No comments:

Post a Comment