Friday, September 23, 2022

September 16, 2007

"I can't sit in here and watch them give him poison!"

"Come somewhere else then."

--The Golden Compass


Dreamed of being in a TV show about glamorous high-schoolers (sort of like The O.C.)


Went to the September Book Club Meetup at the Victory Cafe, where the theme was banned books.  We'd each read Fahrenheit 451, with its book-banning theme, along with one of our own choice that had been censored.  I'd read Of Mice and Men, along with someone else; Karen passed around Little Black Sambo; Howard discussed the Alan Ginsberg poem "Howl." And two others had read the suicide manual Final Exit, which was banned in France, and actually had a connection to Lenny's fate in Of Mice and Men. (I made everyone laugh by pointing out that book's use of the cliche "The skank has to die!") At the end I read out loud Ray Bradbury's four-page story "I See You Never." Next month we'll be doing some horror stories!


Afterward I went to a meeting of proportional representation-supporting volunteers at Michael Vulpe's house and let him talk me into listing the community events and such coming up in the Trinity-Spadina riding.


Donald came over for dinner, which was turkey.


Started rereading The Golden Compass from Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials.  I'll have just over a fortnight to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment