Friday, September 23, 2022

September 15, 2007

"But he's an informer!"

"No, he's an informant"

--Fahrenheit 451


Dreamed of writing a review of the Ealing Studios comedy A Run for Your Money (which I saw the previous week). Maybe I should do that on my blog.


Things were slow at the St. Pauls NDP campaign office, so I went to Indigo Books and bought a paperback set of Philip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy. (I also bought a 2008 calendar illustrated with Hiroshige's Edo scenes.) Afterward I tried to visit the HQ of the organization promoting proportional representation to get a lawn sign, but the elevator didn't work and I almost got stuck inside!


Saw Emile Ardolino's Dirty Dancing at the Bloor (for the second time).  It has great dance numbers and a very good '60s music soundtrack--even by '60s music soundtrack standards!--but the first half in particular suffers from a cheesy, predictable story.  It does improve after he and she go all the way, leading to a stunning climax (no pun intended). It's the sort of movie where the teenage heroine is known by the nickname Baby.  You don't suppose she's going to lose her "innocence," do you?


The cool fall weather has arrived.


Dinner was McDonald's.


Went to Suspect Video and rented Francois Truffaut's movie of Fahrenheit 451.  It's a visually stylish but often idiosyncratic adaptation.

No comments:

Post a Comment