Wednesday, February 3, 2021

January 30, 2006

Dreamed of visiting a house that John was renovating and hearing popping sounds; Father explaining that the sound came from a gadget that released small amounts of natural gas then ignited them to burn off the gas that was already there(?).


Work was more of the same. Marnie appeared briefly, but didn't say much.


Marnie phoned in the afternoon and said Marjorie had asked if I could do afternoon overtime on Tuesdays and Thursdays, starting this week. [I'd said earlier that I didn't want to be asked to work extra at such short notice, but she evidently didn't "get the memo."] I carelessly agreed to start it this week (I'm eager to please over the phone), but soon after realized that working a full day then doing a four-hour opera run-through might not leave me with enough time to wash my hair and shave.  I phoned Marnie back to ask about changing to Wednesday afternoon, and she gave me an earful about how reneging on a commitment is unprofessional and would undermine the Hawkins Institute's credibility.  Then I went down to see Marjorie and she had no problem with the change.


[This still annoys me.  There was no problem until Marnie created one, then she defined her responsibility in a way that left me out in the cold.  Fortunately, I lived close enough that I could go straighten out the matter myself, but if I'd lived further out I would have had to break it to Marjorie the following morning, which might have ruined her plans--all so that the Hawkins Institute could keep its fingers clean.  It wasn't like I'd agreed to it a week before, then changed my mind at the last minute.  Marnie did her job badly, then called my reaction "aggressive"!]


Dinner was steak.


The choir did two new songs, "Paese Me" and "Tiritomba." [In my diary I spelled it "Trimbolina"!]

No comments:

Post a Comment