Monday, March 11, 2019

February 19, 2004

"I hate films.  When I have two hours to spare, I'd rather spend them by myself than up there with those people"--Two Weeks in Another Town

Dreamed of the brutality of the Spanish Civil War (Loyalist politicians failing to escape the Nationalists and doomed to die); driving home to our Sackville house and seeing a group of Australian Aborigines performing a traditional dance in the front yard; getting to sit in on a meeting of the defence teach after presidential candidate Dennis Kucinich was charged with murder(?); the US Congress appointing a new president and vice president after the existing ones were forced out; hoping to play King Lear.

It's warmed up.

I forgot my belt at the opera, and had to buy a new one today.

Baked whole wheat bread.

Dinner was chicken curry.

Saw Yasujiro Ozu's I Flunked, But... a comedy about college students.  It brought back some uncomfortable memories of my time in university.

I stayed for Vincente Minnelli's Two Weeks in Another Town, in which washed-up movie star Kirk Douglas comes to Rome to help out washed-up director Edward G. Robinson with an ill-starred Italian production.  Mostly over the top, though it had some insights into life in the movie business. [It bears comparison to the better-known The Bad and the Beautiful.]

No comments:

Post a Comment