Friday, December 21, 2018

December 14, 2003

"'Do you consider yourself normal then?" Wilbarger asked. 'Certainly,' Augustus said. 'I never met a soul in the world as normal as me'"--Lonesome Dove

Dreamed of someone who noticed that nobody could see or hear him and turned out to be dead (should I write a story about that?) [I did!]; a nonexistent Powell-Pressburger documentary-style movie about angels (in normal clothes, without wings) looking down on the earth after the end of World War II (Powell & Pressburger made the similar Stairway to Heaven); trying to rewind the movie to hear a line again, but instead fast-forwarding to the end and being unable to rewind all the way back to that point; a long closing shot showing the whole cast with their backs to the camera in a slow zoom-out.

Saw Frank Capra's The Strong Man, a silent comedy with the infantile-looking Harry Langdon.

Also saw Bill Forsyth's movie of Marilynne Robinson's Housekeeping (for the second time). A good movie about the 1950s, for a change.

It's been snowing!  I shovelled our front walkway and sidewalk.

John and Kathrine came over for dinner, which was lasagna.

Started the first lesson in my new book about learning the Dutch language. [I was interested in that for a few months, because I'd seen this Dutch nurse in my creative writing class...]

No comments:

Post a Comment