Monday, July 24, 2023

July 20, 2008

Went on a Friends Meetup outing to Canada's Wonderland.  I skipped breakfast to make sure I'd be there at 08;30 for Josh to pick me up and drive me there.  But it turned out we were early.  There were eleven people in our group. [Several people cancelled because of the rainy weather.]                                                                           I got through the Top Gun and Behemoth roller coasters by closing my eyes the whole way. [I lost my glasses case from my jacket pocket in the former ride.  I'm just glad it was empty.] I managed to keep my eyes open during the Thunder Mountain ride.  Then I noticed that some of us were skipping these rides and waiting for the others to get through them, so I did too. [I skipped the Vortex, the Skyrider, the Bat, the Drop Zone--a vertical drop that braked just before reaching the ground--and the Timberwolf Falls, which gave you a real soaking.                                                                                      I did go on the White Water Canyon--with milder splashes--and Scooby Doo's Haunted House, with a laser shooting gallery where I scored 300 points, less than the day's top score of 3000.  But my favourite ride was the bumper cars.                                                                                  For lunch I had a foot-long hot dog, which actually wasn't so bad.  Later i had one of the park's famous funnel cakes, which felt kind of heavy so when I came home I didn't feel like dinner.                                                              The main drawback was the rain, which came down heavily in the morning and the late afternoon. [I was wearing my raincoat but during the heavy rains my shirt felt wet too.] At least it shortened the lines somewhat.  Plastic ponchos were selling well.                                                                  Riding a roller coaster is a bit like take medicine, except I'm not sure what you're being cured of. [Cowardice, foolhardiness, the illusion that you could become an astronaut, the conformism that makes you do things you dread just because everyone else is...]                                                          It isn't often that I write two whole diary pages in one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment