Wednesday, May 24, 2023

May 18, 2008

Babe: "Remember me?"

Robert Downey Jr.: "Sure don't!"

--Iron Man


Dreamed of an artificial decoration that grew like a tree and produced balloons; reflecting that the editors of the right-wing British newspaper The Sun (who behaved as "enforcers" for the Thatcher government) made me believe in hell; that Britain's enforcer culture produces toadies (like the College Boy gangster in the "Take-Over" story in the Modesty Blaise comic strip, who got killed in the end because he wasn't smart enough to turn coat while he still could); finding a New York Times Sunday magazine with a crossword puzzle I hadn't done.


Went to the first Brunch Club Meetup since Patricia revived her group, at La Passione.  There were over twenty people!  I had cheese omelette with peameal bacon.


Started re-reading the "basement" threads I'd contributed to at mrcranky.com back in 2001.  I really miss that time. (I wrote some good posts then!)


John and Kathrine came over for dinner, which was pizza. (Kathrine's about to fly to London, so I gave her a five-pound note left over from my travels.)


Saw John Favreau's Iron Man at the Grande with Spyros' Movie Meetup.  Robert Downey Jr. enlivened a fairly routine Marvel Comics adaptation, competent if predictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment