Wednesday, May 3, 2023

April 25, 2008

English gentleman (seeing Charles Laughton climb a mast): "What's the Squire doing up there?"--Jamaica Inn


"I hate facts!"--Summer Magic


Flew back to Toronto on the previous day.


Dreamed of coming to a place where John was being held hostage(?); singing "Love Me Tender" and causing some nearby people to applaud; comparing mystery tours (as in the Beatles song "Magical Mystery Tour") to the surprise package advertised in comic books; the Shakespeare line from The Tempest "Come unto these yellow sands, and then take hands."


Woke up around 05:00.


While I was away several magazines arrived:  Harper's, Vanity Fair, Radar and Games.


Got a start on watching the six DVDs that arrived from zip.ca.  In the afternoon I saw the Hayley Mills Disney musical Summer Magic, which I'd previously seen on TV as a kid.  Pretty thin, and I only remembered one song:  the one that went "She thinks she's the Pink of Perfection!"


Dinner was scalloped potatoes and ham.


In the evening I saw Alfred Hitchcock's film of Daphne du Maurier's Jamaica Inn.  A cheesy adaptation, with Charles Laughton's worst performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment