Saturday, October 30, 2021

October 21, 2006

"You're nothing but a little poop, and that's the way the poop poops!"--Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?


"She couldn't speak English, being from Texas"--ibid.


Dreamed of a bully stealing a game from me; me hitting him but finding he just laughed at me; bicycling in the streets of my hometown Sackville, N.B.; asking Father if we had any Sackville property left to sell; the Burt Reynolds movie The Longest Yard (which I haven't seen).


Finally mailed the Rick O'Shay package I'd sold on Ebay. (The payment took a while to clear.)


Saw Frank Tashlin's Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter? at the Cinematheque.  It's a 1950s satire of advertising and celebrity, with Jayne Mansfield as a spoof Marilyn Monroe (or a spoof Jayne Mansfield?). Hit and miss but often funny.


Dinner was KFC.


Then I saw Oliver Stone's Platoon (for the second time), again at the Cinematheque.  The first 40 minutes, that is:  too lugubrious for me.  Come to think of it, I didn't care so much for it the first time.  Full Metal Jacket and Casualties of War are greater Vietnam War movies, but Platoon came first and got most of the attention. (Dreamworks had some nerve selling Saving Private Ryan as a totally new kind of war movie, considering that Platoon had done essentially the same thing just 12 years before, and even that wasn't completely original.)

No comments:

Post a Comment