Monday, February 3, 2020

January 27, 2005

"You practically do not use semicolons at all.  This is a symptom of mental defectiveness, probably induced by camp life"--a George Bernard Shaw letter critiquing Lawrence of Arabia's The Seven Pillars of Wisdom manuscript, quoted in Eats, Shoots & Leaves

Dreamed of Mother visiting me in London. (She didn't.)

Father and John seem to have fixed the leak in the bathtub pipes.  They were still working on it late, so I went out and ate KFC by myself to be sure I'd be on time for my 18:30 movie.

Finally got my OHIP health card renewed.  I only had to wait about half an hour. (I brought a couple of bank and credit card statements to provide proof of residence.)

Saw Sergio Leone's gangster epic Once Upon a Time in America for the second time, though it was the first time I saw the director's cut.  I didn't hate the shorter version as much as some people did twenty years ago, but the near-four hour version is a revelation.  Though a lot of it doesn't make sense--the story takes a bizarre turn in the last half hour--its adagio pacing and elegiac tone are brilliantly evocative.  A flawed masterpiece, with another wonderful musical score by Ennio Morricone.


No comments:

Post a Comment