Sunday, April 14, 2019

March 15, 2004

"How shall we arm ourselves when all we have is our tears?"--Samson & Delilah chorus

Woke up at 6:00.  I waited an hour before the Royal Opera opened and got a 25-pound ticket for tonight. (I rule!) It was windy and I should have worn my sweater.

Went to the London Transport Museum with its buses and stuff.  I liked the exhibit about future options.

Took photos of Covent Garden and Leicester Square. (And I may redo the latter because there wasn't much sunshine.)

Lunch was lamb and zucchini with couscous and pita bread. (And a cherry-cranberry drink from Australia.)

Visited the National Portrait Gallery but only had time for the 20th-century stuff.  There was an exhibit of photographs of people in Trafalgar Square on historic occasions.

Dinner was Burger King (at Piccadilly Circus).

Saw the Royal Opera production of Camille Saint-Saens' Samson & Delilah.  It was fabulous!  My seat was at the right end of the stalls circle and I couldn't see the right end of the stage, but that didn't matter:  I was as close as the front row!  I especially loved the choruses.  I guess they had "suicide bombers" back then too.  Incredible Bacchanale ballet.

No comments:

Post a Comment