Tuesday, September 11, 2018

September 2, 2003

"Stop acting like you have a choice!"--Dirty Pretty Things

Dreamed of visiting a gymnasium; receiving in the mail a message from The Nation on the Bush administration written in several languages.

Dr. Hassan was enthusiastic about my plan to form an Aspergers adult support group.  He promises to give what support he can.

Finally got around to seeing Stephen Frears' Dirty Pretty Things, about the underworld of illegal immigrants in London.  It was well-made and disturbing; every shot had visual interest. (It was photographed by the great Chris Menges, who won Oscars for The Killing Fields and The Mission.) It shows the cosmopolitan London I lived in and enjoyed years ago.  This could be New York City, Los Angeles or maybe even a future Toronto.  The script was reminiscent of Ken Loach's movies (and urban legends). There were very few "English" people in it.  

Afterward I picked up my film festival tickets.  I got all ten of my first choices!

Dinner was KFC.

Saw a bit of Paul Thomas Anderson's Punch-Drunk Love on video.  Couldn't get into it. (I couldn't watch his Magnolia either.)

Went to karaoke and sang "The Heart of Rock & Roll," "Life's Been Good" and "Eat It."

Read 88 pages of Return to Jalna!

No comments:

Post a Comment