Thursday, September 19, 2019

September 10, 2004

"I'm a victim of my class, James"--Heaven's Gate

Dreamed of a mouse nibbling my hand; visiting Windsor near London; joining up with a tour group attending a wedding, in which the couple were bathed in the sea like a baptism; reading about Napoleon III in a magazine; the movie Erin Brockovich (which I haven't seen) with Aaron Eckhart playing the financier Julia Roberts was suing. (He actually played her boyfriend.)

Moira and I saw Michael Cimino's notorious western Heaven's Gate at the Cumberland. (I'd seen the shorter version in a cinema and the longer version on video, but this was the first time I saw the long version on the big screen.) It's a shameless but oddly glorious mess.  Cinematographer Vilmos Zsigmond answered questions afterward. [I remember seeing the promising trailer above back in 1980.]

The movie left me with a big headache. (It didn't help that we sat near the front because the rows further back have visibility problems in that cinema.) So I had a really hot bath in the evening.

Dinner was roast beef.

No comments:

Post a Comment