Thursday, January 3, 2019

January 1, 2004

"'If only she were different,' he thought, 'I could love her with all my heart.' 'If only he were different,' she thought, but she did not think of love"--Renny's Daughter

"I thought you'd change after your transplant." "Well, I thought you'd change after I did.  Neither of us changed"--21 Grams

Another year.  Can't think of any resolutions yet.

Dreamed of playing hockey against two others in a rink of melting ice, without seats or sticks and with dimes instead of a puck; the ice surface covered in water and completely disappearing in one place; getting my feet wet; a news story about a scandal involving a religious cult in South America with a defective ice-making machine.

Baked white bread overnight.

Saw Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu's 21 Grams at Canada Square.  It's about how ex-con Benicio del Toro ran over Naomi Watts' husband, leaving him brain-dead, so she donated her husband's heart, saving Sean Penn's life, then Penn found out where his new heart came from, became attracted to Watts, and decided to kill del Toro... except that the order of the scenes was shifted about.  Depressing story, but told in an unusual, original way. [A bit like The Tree of Life.]

Dinner was boiled ham (and Christmas pudding).

I'm now reading Mazo de la Roche's Renny's Daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment