Friday, August 17, 2018

August 12, 2003

"He thought you were forthcoming." "Well, I shan't forthcome any more"--I Capture the Castle

Scarecrow to Tin Woodman: "Nothing can resist your kind heart and your sharp axe"--The Land of Oz

Dreamed of Against All Odds, a disastrous 1984 remake of the classic film noir Out of the Past with a wonderful Phil Collins title song; seeing a movie with footage of a mental institution that I recognied from another film; driving downtown in Sackville (in real life, I don't know how to drive).

Saw the episode of Band of Brothers where they found a concentration camp in Germany.  A query:  When Americans found out the true dimensions of the Holocaust, did any of them say, "We should have fought Germany in the '30s"? (The Europeans are supposed to be grateful that Washington condescended to fight at all.)[It helped that Hitler had declared war on them, of course.]

The parents and I saw I Capture the Castle at the Carlton.  It was one of those British period comedies set in the 1930s, with a somewhat familiar pattern.  Droll lightweight entertainment.

Afterward we were hoping to meet Donald at an Indian restaurant.  But Father couldn't find the place--he didn't even remember the name--and anyway it wasn't clear if Donald could make it.  We ended up eating Indian food somewhere else without him.

The Land of Oz is a really crazy book. (I just finished it.) What an ending! [The boy turns out be a transformed girl, and gets changed back.]

Went to karaoke.  I sang "Hold Me Now" and "My Way."

No comments:

Post a Comment