Sunday, July 22, 2018

July 18, 2003

Dreamed of being in Sackville's one-room library (before they built a bigger one in the 1980s); being in the novel How Things Got That Way, about a dysfunctional family, including a brother on drugs and a sister serving as a varnished table leg; John recognizing the story; Haroun Tazieff, the real-life geologist who entered active volcano craters [I read about him in The Finding Out Treasury]; changing rooms and showers near the university swimming pool I used to frequent in Sackville.

The new Harper's has an interesting article about the concept of dissent. [Edward Hoagland's "The American Dissident:  Individualism as a Matter of Conscience."]

It turns out that the Sun Yat-sen book that Puitak lent to me and I returned to the Wychwood library didn't get returned to the original library.  I went to Wychwood to try to set the matter straight, but they said they need Pui and her card.

Dinner was the rest of the lasagna.

Cynthia did a Lindy hop class.  Davis led the hand-jive line dance again.  There were a lot fewer women than men at this dance party (It's usually the other way around), so I missed quite a few dances.  And I didn't really care!

Salon had a lot of articles on the Iraq scandal.  I spent quite a while reading them.  I feel bad for those American soldiers who were led to believe they'd only be there a short while, and now have to stay there for who knows how long?  Really unfair.  "Hope deferred maketh the heart sick"--Book of Proverbs

No comments:

Post a Comment