Wednesday, April 18, 2018

April 16, 2003


Dreamed of passing through Amherst, N.S., on a bus; trying to find my slippers from a group of identical ones; an arrangement I remember of the 23rd Psalm with Scottish music; a class beginning in a reform school.

Got up at 10:34.

Finished My Losing Season.

Went shopping.

Finished translating the second chapter of Wandering Youth!

Dinner was halibut.

Cold again today.  I went to the library to borrow a new book  but didn't feel like getting anything.  So I started the medieval section of Christopher Hibbert's The English:  A Social History 1066-1945.

While my computer's booting [the good old days!] I pass the time by rereading the children's book The Case of the Marble Monster (also known as Ooka the Wise) about a legendary eccentric magistrate in old Tokyo, and glancing through Nancy Drew mysteries. [I read those stories as a kid, and saw the word "shogun" in one of them, so when I saw the James Clavell title Shogun on the best-seller lists I knew it was about Japan!]

In the drama course we did skits set in a grocery store, with a scientist character, a fork, and the line "I'm looking for Mr. Right." We also did skits with a driver and hitchhikers.  Danielle and I worked on a scene from Jean Giraudoux' Enchanted, where I play a civil servant vying for her hand with a ghost.  Another pair did a scene from Simon Gray's Otherwise Engaged.  I can't get into Simon Gray. (I'm one of the only people who didn't care for Quartermaine's Terms.)

No comments:

Post a Comment