Thursday, April 30, 2020

April 22, 2005

"Why, you double-crossing bobcat!"--Duel in the Sun

Dreamed of firing a machine gun.

Sore throat.

Dinner was sausages and mash.

Went to my first Meetin event:  a mixer at Therapy Lounge, which was a bit loud for my taste.  I only stayed half an hour because I had a movie to go to.

That movie was Duel in the Sun, which I saw for the second time, at the Cinematheque.  Produced by David Selznick and directed by King Vidor, it's cheesy, overblown camp.  Gregory Peck is badly miscast as a nasty badass, as is Jennifer Jones (Mrs. Selznick) as a mestiza bombshell. (Though I can't recall seeing any movies in which she was particularly good...) Even Lillian Gish is less good than usual.  Unintentionally funny, especially in the eponymous climax.  Nothing dates more surely than titillation. (How will those "lad's magazines" look thirty years from now?)

No comments:

Post a Comment