Tuesday, April 28, 2020

April 20, 2005

"Those who have made their case against intellect in our time have not found it necessary to originate a single new argument, since this mythology [the intellectual as subversive] is deeply rooted in our historical experience"--Anti-Intellectualism in American Life

Mimi: "Pretty....  Will I ever be pretty again?"--La Boheme

Dreamed of seeing Buffalo Bill's Wild West show.

Finally finished the 50-page introductory section of Anti-Intellectualism in American Life!  I got the impression that the book's about American intellectualism as much as anti-intellectualism.

Had another singing lesson with Giuseppe.  I'm now looking him in the eye and even smiling as I sing.

Dinner was the rest of the pork.

Went to the Art Gallery of Ontario, which is free after 18:00.  I got through it pretty quick. (There was an exhibit on one-joke artist Christo.) Then I saw King Vidor's silent movie of Puccini's La Boheme.  It was very different from the opera:  Mimi (Lillian Gish) sacrifices her health to help Rodolfo (John Gilbert) become a successful playwright, but he wrongly thinks she's cheating on him with a rich viscount...

No comments:

Post a Comment