Thursday, February 21, 2019

February 5, 2004

Robert Mitchum: "Before I bleed to death, how about giving me a shot of whisky and some medical attention?"--Home From the Hill

Dreamed of being a British MP, coming into the House of Commons for a vote, and noticing that the place looked like Alice in Wonderland.

Father took Moira to Kingston.

After seeing Dr. Hassan, I bought a bunch more old comics, including The Twilight Zone and Magnus, Robot Fighter. (I had to get the latter just for the title!)

The Lucia-Edgardo duet in Lucia di Lamermoor has been going through my head constantly!

Distributed some cards promoting the opera show at five libraries.

Dinner was McDonald's.

Saw Yasujiro Ozu's A Hen in the Wind, about a mother surviving poverty in postwar Tokyo.  

I stayed for Vincente Minnelli's Home From the Hill, a piece of '50s hokum about a Texas family.  Long and enjoyably overdone, with Robert Mitchum entertaining as ever as the patriarch, and George Peppard and George Hamilton a cut-rate version of Paul Newman and Anthony Perkins. [Funny how I've totally forgotten it!]

No comments:

Post a Comment