Saturday, June 24, 2023

June 19, 2008

Richard Widmark: "I represent the Public Health Service."

Reporter: "Well, I represent the public!"

--Panic in the Streets


"Baby, Methuselah is younger than me tonight!"--ibid.


Went shopping.


The StarChoice people sent a new satellite receiver, so now we'll be able to watch TV shows in the attic again.


Dinner was salmon.


Saw the DVD of Elia Kazan's Panic in the Streets (great 1950s title!). It's an efficient noir procedural where Richard Widmark has to find the New Orleans hoodlums (including Jack Palance) who killed an illegal immigrant carrying the plague, before they spread it everywhere. (Part of me was hoping that he'd fail and it would spread out of control...)


Afterward I saw the DVD of Shirley Chisholm:  Unbought and Unbossed, about the first black congresswoman and her 1972 presidential campaign, decades before Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton. (She was just ahead of her time...)

No comments:

Post a Comment