Friday, November 27, 2020

November 12, 2005

Dreamed of becoming so obsessed with a complicated puzzle that I stopped going to school; blaming my sister Margaret for introducing me to it; visiting my Aunt Alma in Cape Breton and spending all the time in the rafters of her garage arranging newspaper sections for sale; being unable to fold two huge banknotes to fit inside my wallet; fighting some kids who made fun of me, then fighting their father; hearing that Australian singer Rolf Harris had taken his money out of the stock market and put it into safer investments; speculating that Czechs would like Harris; a (non-existent) Classics Illustrated comic book of a World War II novel like The Caine Mutiny; doing a cryptogram-type puzzle in red ink; being about to leave our Sackville house for the last time; telling Mother that it seemed like I'd recently been there more often than I actually had, because I've dreamed about it so often; asking Marilyn Monroe for a kiss (both of us being in high school) but finding out that I'd actually asked a fat girl, who enthusiastically gave it to me.

Moira and I saw the DVD of the Glyndebourne Festival production of the Handel opera Rodelinda.  It's over three hours long, so I just watched the first act.

Dinner was steak.

Saw Mikio Naruse's silent melodrama Not Blood Relations at the Cinematheque.  It's about a woman who abandons her baby and returns from abroad as a rich movie star who wants to raise her daughter, except she has a new mother.  Pretty sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment