Friday, November 16, 2018

November 10, 2003

Dreamed of cleaning away the dust in my room in the Sackville house with a hose; playing computer games in a ditch with a transparency projector for a screen; Oprah Winfrey interviewing a young man about his masturbation habit.

Vote around noon, then I went to the library and picked up The Once and Future King, which had been on hold for me, then went to the travel agency and booked my London flight.

Went shopping. We also went to Walmart to get a new battery for my watch, but it turned out that the watch was just turned off.

Dinner was McDonald's.

Saw two silent movies at the Cinematheque, both starring Greta Garbo and John Gilbert and directed by Clarence Brown (both for the second time). I don't care so much for Flesh and the Devil.  Two old friends fight over Garbo and are about to duel when she falls through the ice and drowns, and only then to they come to their senses and remember their friendship. (I can't stand that "the bad girl has to die" cliche...) [The movie would have been better ending there, but there's an extra scene with Gilbert ending up with the nice girl--who cares?!]

I prefer A Woman of Affairs.  La Garbo has a more interesting character, playing a self-destructive "scandalous" woman with whom Gilbert finds himself still in love even after he's married another girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment