Friday, October 4, 2024

September 29, 2009

Dreamed of doing a New York Times crossword puzzle where the answer to "Lowest beach in the world" was "Iqaluit desert"; visiting a park on the south shore of Brooklyn with a group of people; meeting actress Norma Shearer, whose photos I'd just been looking at online.


Dinner was spaghetti.

Doris: "Something wonderful is happening to me, Mama, I'm growing up!"--Fame (Did any real-life teenager ever say anything like that?)

Music teacher on electronic music: "That's not music, Martelli, it's masturbation!"--ibid.

"I bombed out there and you're talking about fucking pizzas?"

"I'm not talking about fucking pizzas, I'm talking about eating them."

--ibid.



Saw the DVD of Alan Parker's High School for the Performing Arts movie Fame, for the second time. It's terribly dated, like an After School Special cramped with R-rated cliches (e.g. boys peeking at girls undressing). When student Doris said "I don't know why I'm here," I didn't know either.


Went to the first Toronto City Opera rehearsal.  Barbara won't join us till December.  We did the chorus entrance from Cavalleria Rusticana and the part where Alfio arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment