Saturday, December 23, 2023

December 17, 2008

"Most sentimental ideas imply, at bottom, a deep if unacknowledged disrespect....  Sentimentality about nature denatures everying it touches"--Jane Jacobs (excerpted in Lapham's Quarterly)


"This time, John Wayne will not ride off into the sunset with Grace Kelly."

"That's Gary Cooper, asshole!"

--Die Hard


"Of all the terrorists in the world, I had to kill the only one with feet smaller than my sisters"--ibid.


Dreamed of reading that an ancestor of mine had been convicted on corruption charges. (That's what comes from watching The Sopranos.)


Had my last singing lesson fro a while.  We did "Di Provenza," which is another song that taxes my upper vocal range.


On the way home I booked a session with my shrink Dr. Hassan.


Dinner was lamb stew.


Saw John McTiernan's Die Hard (for the first time) at the Bloor.  A hit cat & mouse adventure, often corny but pretty entertaining overall. (Alan Rickman, as the villain, of course made off with the show.)

No comments:

Post a Comment