Tuesday, November 19, 2019

November 7, 2004

"Let's have a row, but could we please have a quiet row?"--The Entertainer

"It's destroyed my garden!  I'll never forgive that monster!"--Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah

John and crew came over for lunch to celebrate Merle's birthday (a week late). We had a vegan birthday cake.

Saw Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah at the Cinematheque. (I considered seeing Before Sunrise instead, but I chose action over talk.) There was a time machine that took the heroes back to a World War II battle in the Pacific, so there was one American naval officer saying to another, "Tell it to your son after he's born, Major Spielberg." In this one, Godzilla was up against a three-headed dragon.

Donald came over for dinner, which was takeout churrasco chicken.

Saw the DVD of Tony Richardson's film of John Osborn's play The Entertainer (for the second time). Osborn's plays have dated, but Laurence Olivier is brilliant as music-hall performer and desperate sneak Archie Rice. (The first time I put on stage makeup for the opera group, when I looked in a mirror I reminded myself of him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment